John Mann III, M.D.
Dr. John Mann is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in hip and knee replacements as well as sports medicine care. Dr. Mann comes to us from Roanoke, VA where he was an Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the Virginia Tech - Carilion Clinic School of Medicine. He has extensive training in computer navigation in total knee replacement, revision total knee replacement, and anterior total hip replacement surgeries. He performs knee arthroscopy and has extensive experience in fracture care as well.
Dr. Mann graduated from Davidson College in North Carolina with a Bachelor of Science degree in Pre-Medicine. He then completed his Doctor of Medicine degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville, Virginia. He participated in a two-year general surgery residency at the Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital in Roanoke, Virginia. He then did an orthopedic clinical research fellowship at the Orlando Regional Medical Center, followed by an orthopedic trauma fellowship at the Technical University in Munich, Germany. Dr. Mann then returned to the University of Virginia to complete his orthopedic residency training program.
Dr. Mann dedicated an additional year of specialty training in total joint replacement surgery/adult reconstruction and sports medicine residency at Insall Scott Kelly® Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in New York City. This fellowship was highlighted by working with the designer of the first total knee replacement, Dr. John Insall.
He is also board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and the American Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He has published numerous articles and has served as the President of the Virginia Orthopaedic Society.
Committed to helping each patient return to their active lifestyle, Dr. Mann makes every effort to implement the most advanced and expert techniques to offer his patients the best possible care. He is available to see patients at the Abingdon office.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Mann enjoys playing golf, riding his bike, traveling, visiting art museums, and his Jack Russell, Max.
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
- Orthopedic Surgery, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, VA
- General Surgery, Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Roanoke, VA
- Orthopedic Clinical Research, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, FL
- Orthopedic Trauma Residency, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
- Total Joint Replacement Surgery/Adult Reconstruction & Sports Medicine, Insall Scott Kelly® Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, New York, NY
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Virginia Orthopaedic Society